My Divine Conversion

My Divine Conversion

It was a Saturday night in the month of October 2005; a night of pains and sorrows, a night of lamentation and self-pity, a night when all hopes about life seemed lost, a night that left only the option of suicide on my mind.  In fact, it was a night during which I regretted ever coming into mortal existence.

In this awful situation, I concluded that the best way to end my failures and other vicissitudes of life that had completely overwhelmed me was to take the life which Heavenly Father, in His magnanimity had given to me without a token.

I was being deeply consumed by this disgraceful thought, when I decided one final time to ask God to show me the way out.  If He did not want me to die such a disgraceful and ignominious death, I asked Him to direct me to the church where I could feel His presence and the manifestation of His power in my life, having sought Him in many other churches to no avail.  After I had prayed thus, I fell into a deep slumber.

It was in my sleep that a building (housing Esigie/Uwa wards) was shown to me. In that revelation the priesthood brethren, dressed in missionary attire, were also shown to me.  To be candid, I had seen that building each time I walked past the area, since it was within the area of my residence.  However, I never knew that it was a house of worship.  This was because the usual noise associated with churches in Nigeria was lacking.  The area was always quiet.

Having received this revelation, the following morning, being a Sunday, I dressed in native attire and headed for the church.  At the entrance I met an old woman sitting on the pavement who stretched her arm out for alms.  I gave her nothing because I had nothing.  She accepted my excuse and told me with enthusiasm that the building was a place of worship. Said she, “This is the church of the living God, go inside and worship Him.”

I stepped in cautiously, not knowing what to expect.  It was too quiet.  Other churches that I know would have been vibrating with drum beats, organs, trumpets, shouting, singing and dancing.  But this was quiet… too quiet.  I returned to speak to the woman at the gate to confirm that it was really a church, but she was no longer there.  I checked the road and did not find a trace of her.  I imagined that for an old lady it was impossible for her to have walked down the road and out sight within the short period during which I had walked to the church door and back.  Could I have been in contact with a Heavenly being?

I returned to the building and at the door I met a man who introduced himself as Brother James Iyere.  He received me warmly and ushered me into the Chapel.  Inside, I received a powerful impression that I was in the Lord’s church.  I felt the Lord’s invitation in Matthew 11:28-29, “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”  That very moment, all the weighty sorrows, pains, frustrations, lamentations and self-pity of the previous night left me and I felt lighter. Silently, I said, “God, have mercy upon me and forgive me for ever thinking of suicide.”

From that moment everything went very quickly. I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Today I am a beneficiary of the immense blessings of our Heavenly Father.  Like father Lehi, I am extending the blessings of the gospel to my family members, and in time I know they will all come and join in this great work of salvation. 

When I think about my situation before the mysterious circumstance that led me to find this, the “only true church upon the surface of the earth”, I know it was divinely arranged for me.

I am grateful for my membership in His kingdom and I know that we have a living prophet, even President Thomas S. Monson.  I love him and would sustain him in the calling the Lord has given to him.  This is my desire and prayer.